- Born May 14 in Munich, Bavaria, Germany.
1968 - 1970
- Studies art history, history, philosophy at the
Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich.
1970 - 1971
- Columbus scholarship to study at
Brandeis University, Massachusetts.
- Decides to study art and art-history at the
University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
- Invited as artist in residence to Museo
de Arte Abstracto Español, Cuenca, Spain
1973 - 1974
- Teaching assistant at University of Arizona.
- Travel Grant to Guadalajara, Mexico
- M.F.A. master of fine arts with distinction from
Department of Art, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
1975 - 1976
- Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich.
- Dissertation Scholarship and Research Scholarship
for Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, France
- Graduates magna cum laude with PhD in art history and
philosophy from Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich, Germany.
- First solo exhibition at the Richard Demarco Gallery, Edinburgh.
Slide installation on a detail of a painting.
- Participates in the XI. Biennial exhibition in Paris.
- Writes his manifesto “The fantasia of exactitude” published in
Irrawaddy 1, Düsseldorf.
- Participates in “Nucleus I” at the
XVI Biennial in São Paulo, Brazil
- Artists in residence to Belgrade, Yugoslavia,
shows at SCC Gallery in Belgrade.
- NEA Grant, National Endowment for the Arts, New York for
“Books and Drawings” exhibition at Franklin Furnace, New York.
- Canada Council Grant for Foreign Visiting Artists, Montréal.
Invited as visiting professor of art at Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
- NRW Award for the Visual Arts from the ministry of culture in Düsseldorf.
1983 - 1985
- Visiting artist to the San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor at the University of California, Davis, USA.
- Guest Professor at Staatliche Kunstakademie in Düsseldorf, Germany.
- Participates at the XLII Venice Biennial, Venice, Italy.
- Artist in residence to the Glassel School of Art
at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Texas.
- Professor of Art at the Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten,
- Visiting artist to Fine Arts Work Center, Provincetown, Massachusetts.
Gives a lecture “Anti Economic Positions” which is published by
Institute for Practical Studies, RvBK in Amsterdam, Holland.
- Artist in residence to Hine Editions, Limestone-Press, San Francisco.
1991 - 1994
- Poetic manifesto “De coloribus-Notes on color”,
published by Limestone Press, San Francisco and Art Book, Amsterdam.
- Invited as artist in residence to Arteleku by the
Bask Ministry of Culture, San Sebastian, Spain.
- Visiting artist to the Royal College of Art, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Professor, Summer Academy, Salzburg Festival, Salzburg, Austria
- Art critics’ award for best show of the year, Madrid, Spain.
- Artist in residence, Institute for Research in Art, Graphicstudio
of South Florida, Tampa.
- International panel, Museo de Arte Contemporaneo, Oaxaca, Mexiko.
- „news and stories“, DCTP , SAT.1 TV, Conversation with Alexander Kluge.
- Invitation to prepare an exhibition of painting, sculpture and work on paper for
CGAC, Museum of Contemporary Art, Santiago de Compostela in Spain.
The museum publishes a two volume anthology of Partenheimer`s selected texts.
- Participates with a lecture at the International Symposium “Science
Technology, Literature and the Arts” at the Universidad de Santiago de
Compostela, Santiago, Spain
- Project-Grant for China from Kunststiftung NRW, Düsseldorf.
- Invited as the first German contemporary artist to install a retrospective exhibition
in China at the National Museum of Fine Arts in
Beijing and Nanjing Museum in Nanjing.
- Partenheimer´s sculpture “world axis” is mounted in the “Forbidden City”
in Beijing and floats on the Yangtze River near Nanjing.
- Project-Grant for China from the Alfried Krupp von
Bohlen und Halbach-Foundation, Essen
- International Symposium “Crossmapping – Partenheimer in China”
at the Kunstmuseum Bonn in collaboration with Alexander von
Humboldt Foundation, Bonn, honoring Partenheimer´s exhibitions in
Beijing and Nanjing
- Artist in residence to Ergo Pers, Ghent in reference to a comprehensive
solo exhibition at S.M.A.K. Museum for Cotemporary Art, Ghent, Belgium.
- Guest of honor to the German Academy – Villa Massimo, Rome, Italy
Work on the “Roman Diary”.
- Grand Award for Visual Arts 2004 from Kulturstiftung Dortmund.
- Awarded the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
for outstanding achievement.
- Invited to give a lecture at the 8th “Philosophicum Lech”, Lech, Austria.
Published by Zsolnay, Vienna.
- “Suave Loucura”, panel on the Partenheimer exhibition at Pinacoteca do Estado,
- Artist in residence to the Copan Building in São Paulo.
Cooperation between the Goethe Institute São Paulo and
EXO research studies, São Paulo
- Work on the “Diario Paulistano - São Paulo Diary.”
- Artist in residence at Nietzsche-Haus in Sils-Maria, Switzerland.
Work on the Sils-Maria cycle “Metaphysical Landscape”, 24 watercolors.
- Lecture at Henry Moore Institute, Leeds, Great Britain.
- Public panel at Museum Haus der Kunst,
Munich – presentation of the “Copan - São Paulo Diary”.
- Presentation of “Copan - São Paulo Diary” and exhibition
of the “Copan Drawings” at Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo, Brazil.
- Nietzsche-Haus, Sils-Maria, panel and exhibition of “Metaphysical Landscape”.
- Invited by the Archdiocese Berlin to deliver the anual
„Ash Wednesday Speech Of The Artists“ at Gemäldegalerie
der Staatlichen Museen in Berlin.
- „Discontinuity, Paradox & Precision“,
IKON Gallery, Birmingham.
- Kevin Volans composes „The Partenheimer Project“,
a piece for three ensembles dedicarted to the artist.
Premiered by Birmingham Contemporary Music Group
at CBSO Centre, Birmingham. CD released by Black
Sheep Edition, Dublin for IKON.
- „Artist Talk“ at Goethe Institut London
with Jonathan Watkins and Jürgen Partenheimer
on the concept of the IKON exhibition.
- Invited by the Rumaniam Institute of Culture to
give a lecture in Madrid in cooperation with Goethe Institute, Madrid.
- „Discontinuity, Paradox & Precision“,Kunstmuseum Bonn.
Artist Talk with Christoph Schreier.
- Invited as visiting artist to Rhode Island School of Design, Providence.
- Invited as visiting artist to Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts.
- Literature-Moths, Munich. "Fractal Thinking. Gentle Madness."
Invitation to read from his own texts. Special edition of the
selected texts published by Literature-Moths, Munich.
- Guest Professor of Art, Muthesius Hochschule Kiel
- Invited to participate at CEPE Conference in Corfu,
together with Laymert Garcia dos Santos und Konstantinos Karachalios
- "Mimesis-Return", exhibition at Museum Chasa Jaura, Valchava, Switzerland
- Off-Site - The Brearley Project, IKON Gallery, Birmingham
- Visiting Artist Rhode Island School of Design, Providence
- "Xenia", exhibition at Kunsthalle Kiel
- Invited to "The German Conferece at Harvard"
Harvard University, Cambridge, USA
- "Mimesis", artist book. Published by Rhode Island School of Design, Providence
- "La Fortune", Häusler Contemporary, Munich
- "Die fünfte Himmelrichtung ist die Mitte. Die sechs Kontinente der Kunst"
lecture published by Muthesius Kunsthochschule, Kiel